Its now April, so what have I been doing for the first 3 months of the year??
My job seeking future started with a visit to a Career Coach recommended by a friend. It was not at all what I expected. I was in a hurry, I wanted to be given direction and move on with the rest of my life.
The career coach stuff was hard. I had to reflect on my life, my family, my work values, lifestyle values, what I didn’t like about my former career, my skills and areas of interest. In the process I had to face some demons and some realities about myself.
I am a controlled person and I’m reluctant to let people in, so telling a complete stranger deeply personal information is not what I had in mind. Then there were the activities; the sensual walks, artist days, morning pages, letters to myself, stories about my future and a vision board. This was out of my comfort zone. I just went through life getting things done. I had never been interested in preparing and planning out my life.
We spoke about finding the perfect job, but I don’t believe there is a perfect job out there for me. I anticipate I will have a number of different jobs and that’s ok. My last career was for 10 years. I think that’s a good start.
I like that the Career Coach challenged me to do activities I would never have done on my own, but I left the coach after a few sessions. I realised that I didn’t want to continually plan for a new career week after week after week. I just wanted to live it.
My first thought was just to get a job, any job and the rest would follow. I signed up with a few job agencies for temp work and they seemed to really love me. Unfortunately the couple of jobs they put me forward for fell through. I wasn’t too shattered because they weren’t really exciting jobs anyway, but that being said sometimes you just need a job to pay some bills.
What else have I been doing to get a job or kick start a new career???
- I have applied for a few contract type roles with no success. Apparently I’m a little over qualified for basic Administration.
- I have been working on my entry level course into the Real Estate Industry.
- I called some wineries because I thought grape harvesting would be fun.
- I approached some local nurseries for part time/casual work because I like to garden and I could learn heaps.
- I have looked into Volunteering Abroad.
- I have an appointment next week with the bank because I would like to build and sell houses.
- I’m researching the possibility of doing a course in professional writing or an apprenticeship in hospitality.
I was talking to my husband last night. I think its time to make a decision and commit to doing something. We currently live in Central Victoria and may have to move to Melbourne which is a pretty big deal, but sometimes you just need to take a risk and hope it pays off.